Donate

Monday, March 13, 2006

Patience is a virtue.

Once when I was fishing with my father this was what happened.

We decided to go at around nine in the morning. We went and got to the lake at around nine forty-five or ten o' clock. We cast our lines and wasted nearly all of our worms. I think that Dad had one or two small baitfish. I hadn't coaught much if anything. We had had a string of bad luck like this the last three or four times we had gone fishing.

It was five eventually and we were out of water and tired as could be. I told my father "I'm tired, thirsty, bored and we haven't cought anything to make it woth it. Let's just go.". He said: "Lets stay for just ten or fifteen minutes. I can catch one, I know it.". I said "okay" despite my boredom, thirst, and exhaustion.

Part of the reason that we decided it was a good time to go is that it had just rained really well and the lakes were high and the weather was nice. About ten or fifteen minutes after he convinced me to stay, he caught a nice one. He wouldn't have been able to get the fish up to the bank without snapping the line if it hadn't rained so much recently. There was usually about three feet between the top of the bank and the surface. He had caught a catfish that must have weighed over five pounds.

We had only gotten home at around six so we had been gone all day. We got home and a friend who was at home waiting, knew that we went fishing. He also knew that we hadn't been getting much luck lately. He sacastically asked if we great fishermen had caught anything, at which point my father pulled out the catfish as we both marveled at the stunned look on the man's face. We had a really good fish fry that night.

These are the kinds of experiences you just don't get by watching reality television.

Please feel free to comment or post your own stories and experiences.
If you have a story about Bass, Crappie, Catfish, Sunfish, or any fish really please share it with us. If anything, teach someone the lost art of catching your own food.

E-man.

A.K.A.:
FissureMan

No comments:

Followers